Categories: Cruise News

Royal Caribbean Cruises CEO says ‘goal posts keep shifting’ gives update on cash burn

Royal Caribbean Cruises, the company that owns Royal Caribbean International, as well as Celebrity Cruises, Azamara, Silversea and several other cruise lines, is burning through up to US $275-million per month amid the current global shutdown of the cruise industry.

In a video message posted on YouTube, chairman and CEO Richard Fain said he felt like the company was stuck in the movie Groundhog Day, with constantly shifting goal posts and everyday feeling the same as the last as it tries to plan to get its ships back to sea.

RELATED: Royal Caribbean’s new cruise terminal in Galveston put on hold

RELATED: Royal Caribbean Cruises seeks more credit amid global shutdown

“There is no silver bullet that will magically destroy this horrible infestation,” he said, adding that every day feels like a week and every week feels like a month.

Royal Caribbean Cruises said in a SEC filing this week that it expects to incur a net loss on both a US GAAP and adjusted basis for the first quarter ended March 31, 2020 and the 2020 fiscal year.

“These are unprecedented times for all of us. Travel restrictions and stay-at-home orders are important to slowing the spread of the virus, but they have severely impacted our operations,” Fain said in the filing. “We are taking decisive actions to prioritize the safety of our guests and crew while protecting our fleet and bolstering liquidity.”

Royal Caribbean has suspended all cruises until at least June, but ongoing disruptions to travel and port operations in various regions may result in further suspensions.

“Our top priority is to ensure the safety of our guests and crew during the suspension period and when we resume operations,” said Fain. “The Company’s fleet is now either in port or at anchor and we have developed strict protocols to protect our crew that is still onboard our ships.”

The shutdown was costing Royal Caribbean $400-million per month before it put its fleet in cold lay-up

RELATED: Royal Caribbean lets go quarter of US workforce, executives agree to pay cut

RELATED: Royal Caribbean delays refurb of Allure of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas

The company has been developing a comprehensive and multi-faceted program to address the unique public health challenges posed by COVID-19.

This includes, among other things, enhanced screening, upgraded cleaning and disinfection protocols and plans for social distancing.

Royal Caribbean Cruises saw strong booking demand at the start of the year, with higher prices year-on-year, and despite the shutdown and disruption from Coronavirus, its seeing comparable demand for cruises in Q1, 2021.

Booking volumes for the remainder of 2020 are meaningfully lower than the same time last year at reduced prices.

As of April 30, 2020, Royal Caribbean had liquidity of approximately US $2.3 billion in the form of cash and cash equivalents, giving it enough capital to weather the disruption from Coronavirus for up to a year.

Shaun Ebelthite

Founder and editor of Cruise Arabia & Africa. I try to create the best news and information specifically for cruise passengers taking cruises to and from Dubai (where I live) and South Africa (where I was born). You can contact me at shaun(at)cruisearabiaonline.com.

Recent Posts

Holland America Line’s 2028 world cruise to feature extended Cape Town call

South Africa is set to play a prominent role in Holland America Line’s 2028 Grand…

3 hours ago

Carnival Cruise Line expands Isla Tropicale with new pool area and updated branding

Carnival Cruise Line has introduced a new pool complex and refreshed branding at its Roatán…

4 hours ago

Oceania Cruises unveils Christmas, New Year sailings for 2026/27 and 2027/28 seasons

Oceania Cruises has released its holiday deployment programme for the 2026/27 and 2027/28 seasons, with…

16 hours ago

Carnival Cruise Line debuts new bow crest on Carnival Legend following dry dock

Carnival Legend has returned to service following a 16-day dry dock, unveiling a new bow…

23 hours ago

Regent expands Africa and Arabia deployment in 2028/29 cruise season

Africa and Arabia are set to feature more prominently in global luxury cruise itineraries, with…

1 day ago

AD Ports launches Red Sea cruise operations across three Egyptian terminals

AD Ports Group has launched cruise operations across three Egyptian Red Sea ports, marking an…

1 day ago