As the name suggests, the island destination will have a more ecological approach than some of the other cruise islands in the region, with activities focused around enjoying nature.
Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve has been developed by the cruise line in the Bahamas and was a barren wasteland when it first purchased it. The island’s local ecosystem had been destroyed by years of sand extraction.
Now it has been rehabilitated and brought back to life.
It will boast an iconic lighthouse, a great lagoon beach, several distinct beaches, and at least nine activities to offer when it opens in November this year.
There will be deep sea fishing (catch and release), electric Pedalo boat rentals, glow in the dark night paddle boarding, boat rides, snorkeling, scuba diving, and a whole lot more.
Four MSC cruise ships will call at Ocean Cay from November onwards, the first being MSC Meraviglia on November 9, 2019.
MSC Divina, MSC Armonia, and MSC Seaside will also be sailing to the private destination, located just 65 miles from Miami, Florida.
Below is a full list of the various activities available on the island, taken from Cruise Hive.
- Deep Sea Fishing: Catch, Tag and Release – After a short boat ride, guests can reel in an adventure-filled day as they Catch, Tag and Release to learn about the different species of regional fish and how they migrate in one of the most famous fishing areas of the world. Gray Fish, the only tagging research center in The Bahamas, will help guests as they catch and tag their fish to report information on the specific catch. Once the fish caught and tagged, it is then released.
- Rum Rendezvous (Adults Only) – Enjoy a scenic boat ride to a stunning Bahama bank where guests can enjoy a lively, adults-only atmosphere and pristine shallow waters while sipping on complimentary rum punch, surrounded by live music and dancing.
- Ceclo Luxury Electric Pedalo Rentals – Explore or simply slowly drift for hours in the tranquility of the beautiful Bahamian waters on the newest invention on the market, the Ceclo – the luxury yacht of pedal boats, with electric assistance ready for all your adventures and made of recycled champagne cork, wood, and aluminum.
- Glow Night-time Stand-Up Paddle Boarding – Discover the marine life after dark and enjoy a calm evening paddle under a starry sky with a specially equipped stand-up paddle board, fitted with LED illumination that allows guests to glide on a beam of light across the calm waters of The Bahamas.
- Ocean Cay Family Club – The whole family sets out on a great adventure across the island to help Captain Doremi save the island while learning about the environment and animal species living on the land, and how to preserve the island and oceans around them.
- The Bahama Bank Escape (Family Tour) – This tour is fun for the whole family aboard a spacious double decker power catamaran. The captain and crew take families on a charming boat ride to Bahama Banks where visitors can splash around in the shallow tropical waters, enjoy sport activities and relax on the beach with complimentary local rum punch for adults.
- Kids Beachside Stargazing Adventure – This fun learning activity for kids allows them to discover everything about the universe, planets, stars, time and space. Led by Captain Doremi, children will help a little star find her way back home to the skies through stories, games and riddles.
- Honeymoon Harbour Stingray Adventure – Interact with a variety of different ray species including the local friendly stingrays on an adventurous boat ride to Honeymoon Harbour where guests can also enjoy the gorgeous beaches and lighthouse on Gun Cay.
- Sunset Beach Picnic – A romantic picnic on the beach awaits couples looking for a secluded experience while enjoying the sunset and blue Bahamian sea over a bottle of wine and picnic basket of snacks.